The best electric razors for a fuss free shave, plus tips on how to use them
Check out our top picks of the best electric razors for your best shave yet, plus read up on our handy buyer’s guide for useful tips and tricks.
A good quality shave starts with a top-quality razor. It's a fine line between perfectly groomed facial hair and a patchy, razor-burned jaw. Using a low-quality razor is a gamble you don’t want to take. With the right razor, you can take the fuss out of your grooming routine and achieve a comfortable shave with great results every time, but where do you start?
The electric razor market is certainly a crowded one. There is truly something for every household, from cordless designs to handy, travel-sized options, but investing in the perfect product doesn't need to be a struggle.
At The Recommended, we’re committed to helping you shop smarter, so we’ve taken out the guesswork and pulled together our top picks of the best electric razors to suit every need. Plus, we’ve included a handy buyer’s guide below to answer all your burning questions.
The best electric razors at a glance:
- Best all-rounder: Philips Series 3000 Electric Shaver
- The best gift: Braun Series 3 Style & Shave Electric Shaver
- Best head shaver: Remington RX7 Head Shaver
- Best fast-charging razor: Braun Series 5 Electric Shaver
- Best for travel: Braun PocketGo Travel Shaver
- Best affordable razor: Aesfee Electric Shaver
- Best razor with trimmer: HATTEKER Electric Shaver
- Best cordless razor: Panasonic ES-RT37 Electric Shaver
The best electric razors
Best all-rounder: Philips Series 3000 Electric Shaver
Battery life: Up to 60 minutes | Charge time: 1 hour | Waterproof?: Yes
More like this
This electric razor is made with 27 self-sharpening blades, designed for long-lasting quality and easy maintenance.
It offers up to 60 minutes of cordless shaving from an hour's charge and comes with an in-built trimmer for refined grooming. Complete with a travel pouch to take on the move with you safely and hassle-free.
The best gift: Braun Series 3 Style & Shave Electric Shaver
Shave and trim
Battery life: Up to 30 minutes | Charge time: 1 hour | Waterproof?: Yes, IPX7 rated
This 3-in-1 design is ideal for shaving, trimming and edging for a crisp, clean shave and beard trim.
This razor features a three-flex head that moulds to the contours of the face for a close, comfortable shave. It is made with two rechargeable long-life NiMH batteries that fully charge in one hour for 30 minutes of shaving.
Best head shaver: Remington RX7 Head Shaver
Easy to use
Battery life: Up to 60 minutes | Charge time: 1 hour | Waterproof?: Yes
This head shaver is designed with five cutting heads with 30% increased flex versus previous models for a skin-close shave.
Its cordless design uses USB charging to provide 60 minutes of shaving time from one full charge. This razor is 100% waterproof and easy to clean, with a useful pocket to collect trimmings.
Best fast-charging razor: Braun Series 5 Electric Shaver
5 minutes charge for one full shave
Battery life: Up to 50 minutes | Charge time: 1 hour | Waterproof?: Yes
This waterproof electric razor is suitable for both wet and dry use and is equipped with an easy clean system for long-lasting quality.
It comes with a precision trimmer attachment and a Li-Ion battery that provides 50 minutes of shaving time from one full charge, and just five minutes of charge can power one full shave.
Best for travel: Braun PocketGo Travel Shaver
For use on the go
Battery life: Battery powered | Charge time: Battery powered | Waterproof?: Yes
This electric razor is designed with a travel lock and a twist cap to protect the product while on the go and protecting yourself from any unnecessary injury.
It’s easy to clean under running water and is made with a smart foil design that flexes to the contours of the face for a close, comfortable shave.
Best affordable razor: Aesfee Electric Shaver
Battery life: Up to 90 minutes | Charge time: 1 hour | Waterproof?: Yes, IPX7 rated
This electric razor is 100% waterproof and is suitable for both wet and dry use. It is also equipped with a detachable razor head and pop-up trimmer attachment.
Featuring an easy USB charging system, the razor offers 60-90 minutes of shaving time from just one hour's charge. It is also designed with a travel lock feature and a handy LCD screen that indicates battery levels and cleaning reminders.
Best razor with trimmer: HATTEKER Electric Shaver
Battery life: Up to 45 minutes | Charge time: 1.5 hours | Waterproof?: Yes, IPX7 rated
This 3-in-1 multifunctional design includes a precision hair trimmer and nose trimmer, as well as an electric razor. This razor is 100% waterproof for wet and dry use and offers up to 45 minutes of shaving time from just over an hour's charge.
It is also equipped with LED indicator lights that show battery life, charge and cleaning reminders, as well as a convenient and secure safety lock.
Best cordless razor: Panasonic ES-RT37 Electric Shaver
No strings attached
Battery life: Up to 55 minutes | Charge time: 1 hour | Waterproof?: Yes
Suitable for thick and dense beards, this razor is designed with three blades that have two distinct foil patterns, working together to capture and cut all lengths of facial hair.
It’s made from high-quality materials and sharp, stainless steel blades. Designed with a triple-blade cutting system, it features enhanced pivoting blades that work to deliver a smooth, close shave every time.
Electric razor buyer’s guide
Attention, gentlemen: your grooming regime is about to get a whole lot smoother. Whether you're a seasoned electric razor user or a newcomer to the game, our comprehensive buyer’s guide has got you covered, from the benefits to the top features to look for when going electric.
The benefits of using an electric razor
Electric razors offer a variety of advantages compared to traditional razors - here are some of their top benefits:
- Convenience and time-saving: With no need for water, shaving cream, or replacement blades, electric razors can save time and make shaving a much simpler, speedier process.
- Comfort: Electric razors can reduce the risk of cuts and irritation, designed with blades to be gentle against the face and neck, making them ideal for those with sensitive skin.
- Cost-effective: They may have a higher upfront cost, but electric razors can save money in the long run by eliminating the need for replacement blades and shaving cream.
- Versatility: Some electric razors can be used for both wet and dry shaving, giving users the option to customize their shave to their preferences.
Top features to look for in an electric razor
When choosing an electric razor, there are several features to consider - here are some of the most important ones:
- Blade quality: Look for razors with high-quality blades that are sharp and durable, essential for a close, comfortable shave.
- Adjustability: Some electric razors have adjustable settings to accommodate different hair lengths and skin types. This can be a useful feature for those who want more control over their shave.
- Battery life: For cordless models, check the battery life and charging time to ensure they meet your needs. Some models come with a quick charge feature that can be helpful for those who need to shave on the go.
- Ergonomics: Consider the size, weight, and grip of the razor to ensure the most comfortable use. A comfortable grip can help prevent hand fatigue during longer shaving sessions.
- Additional features: Some electric razors come with extra features such as trimming attachments or cleaning systems. These can be useful for those who want a more personal shaving experience.
How to properly clean and maintain your electric razor
Proper maintenance is essential for keeping your electric razor in good condition. Here are some tips for cleaning and maintaining your razor:
- Regular cleaning: Clean the razor after every use to prevent the buildup of hair, skin cells, and bacteria. Most electric razors come with a cleaning brush that can be used to remove debris from the blades.
- Replacement parts: Replace the blades and foil or cutter as recommended by the manufacturer. This will ensure that your razor continues to provide a close, comfortable shave.
- Lubrication: Lubricate the razor regularly to ensure smooth operation. Some models come with a lubrication strip that can be replaced when needed.
- Storage: Store the razor in a dry place and protect it from moisture or extreme temperatures. Some electric razors come with a protective case for storage and travel.
Corded vs cordless electric razors: which is better?
One of the biggest decisions when choosing an electric razor is whether to go corded or cordless. Here are some pros and cons of each option:
- Corded razors: Provide consistent power, making them ideal for those who want a reliable, steady shave. However, they may be less convenient and less portable, requiring to be plugged in for use.
- Cordless razors: Offer more flexibility and mobility, making them ideal for travel or on-the-go use. However, they may have limited battery life and require frequent charging.
Wet vs dry shaving with an electric razor: pros and cons
Another decision to make when choosing an electric razor is whether to go with wet or dry shaving. Here are some pros and cons of each option:
- Dry shaving: Convenient and quick, dry shaving is a popular option for those who want to save time. However, it may not provide as close of a shave as wet shaving and can be less comfortable for those with sensitive skin.
- Wet shaving: Wet shaving can provide a closer shave and may be more comfortable for those with sensitive skin. It requires more time and preparation, as well as the use of shaving cream or gel. Some electric razors are designed for both wet and dry shaving, giving users the flexibility to choose.
How to achieve a close shave with an electric razor
Getting a close shave with an electric razor is easier than you may think. Here are some top tips for achieving super smooth results:
- Use the right technique: Move the razor in slow, circular motions and apply gentle pressure. Avoid using a back-and-forth motion, which can cause irritation.
- Prepare your skin: Wash your face and use a pre-shave lotion to soften hair and reduce irritation. This can also help the razor glide more smoothly over your skin.
- Experiment with different angles and settings: Electric razors come with different settings and can be used at different angles to achieve a closer shave. Try adjusting the settings and angles to find what works best for you.
Electric razors for sensitive skin: tips and recommendations
If you have sensitive skin, finding the right electric razor can make a big difference in your shaving experience. Here are some tips for choosing and using an electric razor for sensitive skin:
- Look for razors with hypoallergenic blades and foils or cutters: These can reduce irritation and minimize the risk of allergic reactions.
- Consider models with adjustable settings: Some electric razors have adjustable settings to accommodate different skin types and hair lengths. This can be a useful feature for those with sensitive skin.
- Use a pre-shave lotion or gel: Pre-shave lotions and gels can help soften hair and protect your skin from irritation.
- Clean and maintain your razor regularly: Keeping your razor clean and well-maintained can help prevent irritation and infection. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning and maintenance.
If you want to read more expert-recommended round-ups and product guides, check out our Household page, where you’ll find more home recommendations, including the best beard trimmers, the best hair clippers, and the best beard oils.
Cordelia Aspinall is a Digital Writer for Immediate Media, working across brands including The Recommended, RadioTimes.com, MadeForMums and BBC Gardeners’ World. She has previously worked and written for digital publications including Condé Nast Traveller, The Evening Standard, Cosmopolitan, and several other lifestyle brands.
Isobel Nutbrown is a Staff Writer at The Recommended and works with leading industry experts to help readers make informed decisions and shop smarter online.