The best shampoo for men, according to hair care experts
Looking for a new shampoo? We’ve got you covered with our guide to the best shampoo for men, including expert advice and recommendations from top hair stylists.
When it comes to hair care, it can be challenging to find the right shampoo for your hair type, needs and concerns. Whether dry hair or prone to dandruff, greasy locks, or struggling with hair loss, there is an ideal shampoo for every man.
The Recommended is here to help and has got you covered with our useful guide to the best shampoo for men. We’ve touched on the common hair problems men face and how to address them with the right shampoo, included the ingredients to look out for and the ones to avoid, and rounded up some of the top shampoos on the market to buy. We also spoke to experts in the industry to get the full low-down on men’s haircare.
So what are you waiting for? Read on for all the top tips on how to keep your hair clean, nourished and perfectly protected.
The best shampoo for men at a glance:
- Best volumising men's shampoo: Kerastase Genesis Homme Shampoo, £24.44
- Best lightweight men's shampoo: GF Fabulosity Shampoo No.2, £35
- Best men's shampoo for hydration: TIGI Bed Head For Men Shampoo, £20.45
- Best purifying men's shampoo: Fudge Professional Clean Mint Shampoo, £10.72
- Best all-rounder men's shampoo: Redken Brews Men’s Daily Shampoo, £15.30
- Best men's shampoo for healthy hair growth: Aveda Men Pure-Formance Shampoo, £19.35
Our hair experts
Gustav Fouche is a top London-based hairstylist and owner of Notting Hill’s high-end salon Gustav Fouche. With years of experience in the hair industry, Gustav has won awards for his styling, including the Wella Master Colourist, the highest colour certification in the industry. He has a host of VIP clients, including designer Oscar De La Renta, and has worked on infamous red-carpet looks, shoots and TV commercials.
Luke Benson is a celebrity hairdresser with male clients, including singer Liam Payne and presenter Roman Kemp. In his 20 years of experience, he has styled iconic hair moments at big events such as the BRITS and Bond premiere, as well as being a top stylist for brands including Tom Ford, Charlotte Tilbury and Hugo Boss.
Elena Lavagni is the owner and founder of London’s iconic Neville Hair & Beauty. With over 20 years of experience in the industry, she has further opened salons in the Bulgari Hotel in London and several pop-ups worldwide, including in Mykonos.
The best shampoos for men
We’ve rounded up some of the best shampoos for men - there are options for all hair types, from dry and oily hair to those with dandruff or struggling with hair loss.
Best volumising shampoo: Kerastase Genesis Homme Shampoo
Treat weakened hair with this thickness-boosting shampoo, formulated with creatine and ginger root, to add volume and texture. It will hydrate and cleanse the scalp and strands of hair, leaving locks refreshed and fuller. Ideal for hair prone to thinning.
Best for hydration: TIGI Bed Head For Men Shampoo
Lather this shampoo into your scalp for instant hydration and add shine to your hair, boasting a refreshing peppermint fragrance. This shampoo contains the antioxidant palmetto to nourish and energise the hair follicles, reducing excess build-up and keeping hair healthy.
Best purifying shampoo: Fudge Professional Clean Mint Shampoo
Cleanse and strengthen your hair with this rich formula shampoo. Infused with ‘scalpfresh’ technology and sustainable marine algae extract, it works to clean and purify your scalp and hair, removing any dirt and balancing out oil production. Finished with an invigorating menthol scent.
Best all-rounder shampoo: Redken Brews Men’s Daily Shampoo
Rejuvenate all hair types with this lightweight shampoo infused with malt. It will gently clean and hydrate the scalp and hair without stripping it of moisture and bring silky-soft results.
Best for healthy hair growth: Aveda Men Pure-Formance Shampoo
Nourish your scalp and hair with this soothing shampoo. Formulated with kunzea and citrus, plus spearmint, vetiver and lavender essential oils, this shampoo promises to reduce any oiliness, dryness or itchiness in just two weeks. Hair will be deeply cleansed and refreshed with healthy, shiny-looking results.
More like this
Best lightweight shampoo: GF Fabulosity Shampoo No.2
Our expert Gustav recommends this energising shampoo for men. He explains that men generally shampoo more often, so this lightweight formula is an ideal option - ‘it has a bit of moisture in it and will help hydrate the hair without weighing it down.’
Do you need to use a specific men’s shampoo?
There’s a whole host of different shampoos on the market, from those specifically formulated for dry hair to ones for greasy hair and coloured hair. And there are plenty out there designed uniquely for men’s hair. The big question, though - is it really necessary to use a specific men’s shampoo? The answer is yes, and here are a number of reasons why:
- Men and women have different hair types: Men tend to have thicker, oilier hair due to biological differences and can require a different type of shampoo than women.
- Men tend to use more hair products: Men often use more gels and waxes to style their hair, which can lead to product building up on the scalp. This, therefore, requires a stronger shampoo to clear up residue and excess oils.
- Men’s scalps are more susceptible to dandruff: Men tend to be more prone to itchy scalps and dandruff compared to women, so shampoos with anti-dandruff properties are more necessary.
What to look for in shampoos for men?: Ingredients to look for and avoid
Checking out which ingredients are in shampoos is important - certain oils, antioxidants and proteins can really help protect your scalp and hair while deeply nourishing and strengthening it. You also need to be aware of the not-so-beneficial ingredients, which can, in turn, cause more damage to your hair. Here’s a quick look at the ingredients to look for and the ones to avoid in shampoos for men:
Ingredients to look for:
- Biotin: A vitamin which helps strengthen and thicken hair, encouraging hair growth and healthy locks.
- Keratin: Strengthens and repairs damaged hair. Keratin is a protein which works to hydrate your hair from root to end, help reduce frizz, and add shine.
- Tea tree oil: This essential oil helps reduce dandruff and dryness, keeping hair clean and nourished thanks to its antifungal properties.
- Caffeine: Helps stimulate hair growth and encourages healthier, stronger locks.
Ingredients to avoid:
- Sulphates: These can strip the scalp and hair of their natural oils, leaving hair dry and irritated.
- Fragrances: Synthetic fragrances can cause irritation and soreness to sensitive scalps and dry out hair.
- Parabens: These chemicals can cause irritation, dryness and trigger allergies in the scalp and hair.
Common men's hair problems and how to address them
There are several common dilemmas and conditions when it comes to men’s hair, from dandruff and dry scalps to greasy or thinning hair. The good news is the right shampoo can efficiently and effectively address these concerns. Here’s what to look for depending on your hair quandary:
- Dandruff: Flaky skin on your scalp? Look for anti-dandruff shampoos that contain anti-fungal ingredients such as ketoconazole, coal tar or zinc pyrithione to treat and prevent itchiness and dandruff.
- Dry scalp: Is a lack of moisture in your scalp causing itchiness and irritation? Gentle shampoos containing argan, jojoba and coconut oils, designed specifically for dry hair, will help rejuvenate, rehydrate and soothe this. Have a look at our round-up of the best shampoos for dry hair for some inspo.
- Oily hair: Are excess oils in your scalp causing your hair to be greasy? Need regular sprays of dry shampoo to refresh your hair? Shampoos designed for greasy hair types will help tackle this, with ingredients such as tea tree oil and salicylic acid unclogging build-up. Check out our guide on the best shampoo for greasy hair to help you find the perfect product.
- Thinning hair and hair loss: Our expert Luke told us that hair loss is a common problem for men. ‘One-fifth of all men will experience some sort of hair loss by age 20, 25% of men start going bald by age 30, and 70% of men at some point in their lives will be affected by male pattern baldness.’ If hair is becoming thinner and finer, it may require shampoos to help thicken its strands and promote growth. Ingredients like niacin, caffeine and biotin are effective in thickening and maximising volume. These ingredients can also help with hair loss, as well as shampoos containing palmetto to stimulate hair growth.
Different types of shampoo: which is right for you?
Choosing the right type of shampoo for your specific hair type, hairstyle, and needs can be tricky. We spoke to our expert Elena for her recommendations and rounded up some of the different types available, with pointers on why it might be best for you, to help you in your picking…
- Anti-dandruff shampoo: Best for men with flaky scalps and hair prone to dryness, anti-dandruff shampoo works to treat and prevent dandruff.
- Clarifying shampoo: Best for men who regularly use styling products in their hair, clarifying shampoo will remove any excess residue or build-up, deeply cleaning and cleansing the scalp, roots and lengths. Elena suggests looking for a clarifying shampoo to help regulate your natural oils if your scalp tends to get oily.
- Moisturising shampoo: Best for men with dry, dulled hair, this shampoo will rehydrate and deeply nourish hair to regain its moisture and shine. Elena advises that a moisturizing shampoo should be used regularly for dry scalp.
- Volumising shampoo: Best for men with fine, thin hair, volumising shampoo will add body and bounce to your locks.
- Colour-friendly shampoo: Best for men with colour-treated hair, whether fully dyed or highlighted, these shampoos will protect your hair’s vibrancy and prevent the colour from fading.
- Conditioning shampoo: Best for men who want to give their scalp and hair some extra nourishment - Elena recommends choosing a deep conditioning shampoo to thoroughly moisturise and nourish your locks.
How often should you wash your hair?
The frequency of how often you wash your hair depends on various factors, including personal preference, hair type and condition, and lifestyle. For the ultimate in-depth guide, check out our article on how often you should wash your hair.
Generally speaking, hair should be washed a couple of times a week. Make sure to strike a balance - be wary not to over-wash your hair as this can strip the scalp of its natural oils, leading to dryness, while over-washing can lead to residue build-up in the scalp, causing greasy hair. Here are some generalised guidelines for how often men should wash their hair:
- Normal hair: Wash hair every two to three days
- Oily hair: Wash hair every other day
- Dry hair: Wash hair once or twice a week
Looking for more expert-recommended round-ups and hair product guides? Check out our hair care and cosmetics pages, where you’ll find more beauty recommendations, including our guides to the best shampoos, the best hair masks, and the best beard oils.
Cordelia Aspinall is a Digital Writer for Immediate Media, working across brands including The Recommended, RadioTimes.com, MadeForMums and BBC Gardeners’ World. She has previously worked and written for digital publications including Condé Nast Traveller, The Evening Standard, Cosmopolitan, and several other lifestyle brands.