The best water flossers for sparkling clean teeth and healthy gums
We’ve scoured the web to find the best water flossers for every household and put together a buyer’s guide to help you level up your dental health.
Dental hygiene may not be the most glamorous of topics, but it is essential to our overall health and wellbeing. We all know the importance of brushing our teeth twice a day (check out our guide to the best electric toothbrushes to lend a helping hand), but we can all admit that, after a long day at the office or one too many wines, flossing is the first thing to be dropped from our nightly routines.
We get it. No one wants to spend precious minutes that could be spent in bed grappling with dental floss and dealing with potentially irritated, bleeding gums, but what if there was a better way? Enter: water flossers.
Water flossers are revolutionising the way the world brushes its teeth. Offering a gentler, more enjoyable flossing experience, water flossers use fine jets of water to ensure a top-quality clean with minimal irritation.
So, which is the best water flosser? Here at The Recommended, we’ve scoured the web to separate the best from the rest and bring you our top picks of the best water flossers to suit every household.
The best water flossers at a glance:
- Best lightweight water flosser: H2ofloss Water Flosser
- Best for battery life: Nicwell Water Flosser
- Best cordless water flosser: Panasonic EW1211W Water Flosser
- Best quiet water flosser: Hangsun Water Flosser
- Best compact water flosser: SYNHOPE Water Flosser
- Best for braces: Waterpik Ultra Professional Water Flosser
- Best powerful flosser: MySmile Powerful Cordless Water Flosser
- Best for design: PECHAM Cordless Water flosser
- Best for sensitive teeth: ByDiffer Water Flosser
- Best affordable water flosser: ORAVIX Manual Water Flosser
The best water flossers
Best lightweight water flosser: H2ofloss Water Flosser
Easy to use
Once fully charged, this water flosser has an impressive 10-15 day battery life.
It features five different water pressure settings for a tailored clean and has a 360° rotatable nozzle to reach hard-to-access spots. It is cordless, waterproof and super lightweight, making it ideal for travel.
Best for battery life: Nicwell Water Flosser
Suitable for all teeth and gum types, this water flosser comes with three standard nozzles, one tongue cleaner, and a dental plaque tip.
Charge up within four hours, and the battery can last up to 21 days for hassle-free dental routines. Adjust the water pressure between the different levels and deep clean between the smallest of gaps.
Best cordless water flosser: Panasonic EW1211W Water Flosser
Customise to you
Add this water flosser to your dental regime for an effective deep clean without irritation. It has three water pressure settings to suit your needs and a removable water tank for easy everyday use.
Choose from ‘jet’, ‘regular’ or ‘soft’ air and help maintain healthy teeth and gums without any inconvenient cords or wires getting in the way.
Best quiet water flosser: Hangsun Water Flosser
This water flosser functions on up to 1,600 pulses per minute for the ultimate deep clean, but at an ultra-quiet volume for a disturbance-free experience.
It features three modes to switch between and eight nozzle types to tailor the cleaning specifically to you. This water flosser also has a large, detachable water tank for easy cleaning.
Best compact water flosser: SYNHOPE Water Flosser
Small but mighty
This water flosser is perfect for effective flossing on the go thanks to its lightweight and compact design, with a small water tank and portable nozzles.
It features three cleaning modes and a 360°rotating nozzle for all-around cleaning, for all teeth and gum types, with a long-lasting battery life for reliability and convenience.
Best for braces: Waterpik Ultra Professional Water Flosser
For an effective clean
Waterpik promises to remove up to 99.9% of plaque from treated areas and keep your smile sparkling and healthy.
This design is ideal for those with braces or implants, gently cleaning around tricky-to-reach areas and keeping your gums and teeth strong and bacteria-free. It has seven flosser tips and ten pressure settings for a customisable experience.
Best powerful flosser: MySmile Powerful Cordless Water Flosser
For a thorough clean
This water flosser is designed with a strong pump and high-power stream delivery to provide you with a meticulous deep clean.
It has five cleaning modes for universal needs, including strong, normal, and pulsing, and a reliable battery life of up to 20 days when fully charged. You can even take it on the move with you in its water-resistant storage pouch for super convenient travel.
Best design: PECHAM Cordless Water flosser
A sleek look
With a streamlined and stylish design, this water flosser is the perfect addition to your bathroom and will keep your teeth and gums clean and healthy.
It allows for a fully customisable experience with three traditional modes and a DIY setting that allows you to alter pressure settings yourself. It quickly recharges for convenient everyday use and is complete with its own storage bag for travel.
Best for sensitive teeth: ByDiffer Water Flosser
Gentle yet thorough
This water flosser offers several variable pressure settings allowing for comfortable and effective use, ideal for sensitive spots around your teeth and gums and those with braces and implants.
Attach one of the five nozzles and enjoy a thorough clean thanks to the 360° rotation design. This water flosser has a large, detachable smart water tank for easy maintenance.
Best affordable water flosser: ORAVIX Manual Water Flosser
Accessible price point
Looking to up your dental care game but trying to save on cash? This water flosser is super affordable, with a precision nozzle to gently yet thoroughly clean the teeth with minimal irritation.
It’s quick, easy to use, energy-efficient, and designed with air infusion technology to provide a steady stream of water without the need for electricity or batteries (an excellent option for travelling too).
Water flosser buyer’s guide: what they are and how to use them properly
What is a water flosser?
A water flosser, also known as an oral irrigator or dental water jet, is a handy alternative to traditional dental floss. It uses a concentrated stream of high-pressure pulsating water to remove dental plaque and food debris from between the teeth and below the gum line.
How often should you use a water flosser?
You can use a water flosser as often as you like! They are safe for daily use, working to gently improve oral hygiene over time, and are designed to cause as little irritation as possible.
What are the benefits of using a water flosser?
Water flossers have several benefits, including:
- Improved oral hygiene: Water flossers efficiently and effectively remove plaque and food particles between teeth and gums efficiently and effectively, reducing the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
- Better gum health: Water flossers are gentle on the gums and can help to reduce inflammation and bleeding.
- Convenience: Water flossers are easy to use and can be less messy than traditional flossing.
- Accessibility: People with braces, dental implants, or other dental appliances can use water flossers to clean hard-to-reach areas.
What should I look for when buying a water flosser?
When buying a water flosser, there are several factors to consider:
- Water pressure settings: Look for a water flosser with adjustable pressure settings so you can customise your cleaning experience specifically for you.
- Reservoir size: Consider the size of the water reservoir – a larger reservoir means less time spent refilling.
- Nozzle options: Look for a water flosser with multiple nozzle options so you can choose the best one for your needs.
- Portability: If you plan to travel with your water flosser, consider a smaller, more portable model which will be easier to transport.
- Price: Water flossers range in price, so consider your budget at the start of your search.
How do I use a water flosser effectively?
To use a water flosser effectively, follow these steps:
- Fill the reservoir with warm water and attach the nozzle.
- Lean over the sink and turn on the water flosser.
- Start with the lowest pressure setting and gradually increase it if necessary.
- Aim the nozzle at a 90-degree angle to your teeth and gums.
- Work from the back of your mouth to the front, cleaning each tooth and gum line.
- Use a sweeping motion to ensure you clean all surfaces of your teeth.
- When finished, turn off the water flosser and spit out the water.
Can water flossers replace traditional flossing?
While water flossers make a great alternative to traditional flossing, they should not be used as a replacement. Traditional flossing removes plaque and debris from tight and tiny gaps between teeth that a water flosser may not reach. Therefore, it’s best to use a combination of both methods for optimal oral health.
Are water flossers suitable for people with braces or dental implants?
Yes, water flossers are suitable for people with braces, dental implants, and other dental appliances. In fact, they can be especially helpful in cleaning difficult-to-reach areas around dental work.
How often should I replace the water flosser nozzle?
It’s recommended to replace your water flosser nozzle every three to six months or as soon as you notice any signs of wear or damage. This ensures optimal cleaning performance and helps to prevent the growth of bacteria in the nozzle.