Whether you’re heading to a music festival, embarking on a backpacking adventure or escaping on a caravanning holiday, a camping chair – along with a camping stove and suitable tent – should be an essential component of your kit list. Not only will a good-quality camping chair save you from sitting on wet and dirty ground, but it offers a comfortable place to relax with a drink after a long day outdoors.
When buying a camping chair, there’s more to consider than you might think. Weight, lumbar support and size are all factors worth thinking about to ensure that you choose the right camping chair for your plans.
To help you find the best camping chair for your next outdoor adventure, The Recommended scoured the internet to find a collection of the best to buy online. We’ve also shared some tips on what you should look for depending on where and how you plan to use your camping chair.
Jump to the best camping chairs:
- Best budget camping chair: Highlander Store Foldable Garden Camping Chair
- Best portable camping chair: Trekology Chair Ultra Lightweight
- Best added features: KingCamp Directors Chairs Folding
- Best cushioned camping chair: Trail Outdoor Leisure High Back Folding Camping Chair
- Best shaded camping chair: Alpha Camp Camp Chairs with Shade Canopy
- Best supportive camping chair: KingCamp XL Heavy Duty Camping Chair
- Best large camping chair: Ever Advanced Camping Chairs
- Best two-seater camping chair: Kelty Low Loveseat Chair
- Best set of two chairs: Sunmer Padded Camping Chairs
- Best circular camping chair: KingCamp Moon Chair
What to consider when buying a camping chair
When buying a camping chair, it’s worth taking the time to consider the style of chair best suited to your plans. Here we outline our top tips for choosing the camping chair that’s right for you:
- Backpacking, adventure camping and hiking: If you’re planning a multi-day hiking trip, the last thing you want is to be stuck with unnecessarily large gear that you wish you’d left at home. A lightweight camping chair is therefore essential. You should look for something light and minimal that packs down into a compact storage bag and fits easily into a rucksack.
- Festivals: A budget camping chair will likely be your best bet for most festivals. With a high risk of dirtying and damaging your chair, it’s worth opting for one suited to your weight and height, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world if it didn’t make it home in one piece. When considering weight, it’s also worth considering how far you will have to carry your stuff to your campsite.
- Camping and caravanning: For camping and caravanning, you can afford to opt for bulkier and heavier chairs that offer more support and accessories when travelling by car. Many camping chairs offer padding and lumbar support for extra comfort and come with additional features like side tables, cooler compartments and storage. Be mindful of the surface you plan to use your camping chair, as some may not be suitable for soft surfaces such as sandy beaches.
The best camping chairs
Best budget camping chair: Highlander Store Foldable Garden Camping Chair
Great for festivals
Weighing just 2.2kg, this lightweight, foldable camping chair from Highlander is perfect for taking to a festival.
This camping chair has steel frames designed to withstand up to 100kg. The seat itself is made from a polyester fabric for easy cleaning. There is a cup holder in one of the armrests, and the whole seat packs down into an 89 x 15 cm carry bag.
Best portable camping chair: Trekology Chair Ultra Lightweight
Great for hiking
This camping chair from Trekology is ideal for hiking. It weighs just 960g and packs down into a small storage bag that can be packed away in a rucksack.
This camping chair features a high-strength aluminium frame, polyester fabric seats designed to withstand up to 135kg of weight, and three different seating positions. It also has side pockets for storing small items.
Best added features: KingCamp Directors Chairs Folding
Includes side tables and cup holders
This set of two camping chairs is ideal for caravanning and camping if you have a car. They come fitted with side tables, cup holders, and removable side bags for storing small accessories.
These ‘director-style’ camping chairs are designed to support up to 180kg of weight, and themselves weigh 4.4kg when folded down. They also have foam-padded armrests and a handle for easy carrying.
Best cushioned camping chair: Trail Outdoor Leisure High Back Folding Camping Chair
For added comfort
Available in a choice of five colours, this camping chair has an ultra-high back and padded panels for added comfort.
This chair is designed to support up to 120kg of weight. It also has a cupholder integrated into one of the armrests and folds up into a drawstring carry bag. The seat itself is made from a breathable mesh fabric to reduce sweating during hot days.
Best shaded camping chair: Alpha Camp Camp Chair with Shade Canopy
Ideal for children
With an integrated shade canopy that provides 50+ UPF sun protection, this camping chair is great for sheltering children from the sun during hot days.
This camping chair features anti-rust steel frames designed to support weights up to 350lbs. It also has cup holders on each of the armrests and is available to buy in a choice of three colours: cyan blue, navy blue or red.
Best supportive camping chair: KingCamp XL Heavy Duty Camping Chair
With an integrated cooler bag and side cup holder, this camping chair from KingCamp is perfect for enjoying a cold drink in the sun during festivals and camping holidays.
This camping chair from KingCamp has lumbar back support and an alignment strap for comfort. It also has a side pocket and head storage bag for keeping small items. It is made with a steel frame designed to withstand up to 353lbs and packs down into a carry bag.
Best large camping chair: Ever Advanced Camping Chairs
Suitable for all sizes
This heavy-duty camping chair is designed to withstand up to 150kg. It has an oversized design and features extra padding to provide optimal comfort.
Ever Advanced’s camping chair has thickened armrests for comfort, as well as a foam-padded cup holder for storing drinks and side pockets for small items. This chair is constructed with a steel frame, and the seat has thickened padding for extra stability.
Best two-seater camping chair: Kelty Low Loveseat Chair
Great for couples
Never be too far from your loved ones with this two-seater camping chair from Kelty. Available in two colours – canyon brown beluga and tapestry/ canyon brown – it is designed to support up to 500lbs.
This camping chair has a heavy-duty steel frame and insulated polyester padding designed to support the weight of two people. It also has adjustable armrests and stands 33 inches tall.
Best set of two chairs: Sunmer Padded Camping Chairs
Lightweight and portable
Designed to support up to 120kg of weight, this set of two camping chairs from Sunmer have flat base feet, which means they can be used on soft ground such as sand.
These camping chairs have pouches for storing magazines or tablets and a cup holder on the armrests. They are also lightweight and easily transportable, weighing just 3.3kg each, and the seating areas are fully padded for comfort.
Best circular camping chair: KingCamp Moon Chair
Heavy-duty and spacious
With a curved, oversized design, this moon-shaped chair from KingCamp is designed to provide more seating space than traditional camping chairs and is suitable for all heights.
With heavy-duty steel frames, this camping chair is designed to support up to 300lbs of weight. It also has a large pocket on the outside of the backrest for storing accessories and folds down into a carry bag with a shoulder strap for easy transport.
If you want to read more expert-recommended round-ups and product guides, check out our Household page, where you’ll find more recommendations, including the best rattan garden furniture, the best outdoor dining sets and the best outdoor rugs.