Sharing our home with family and friends is one of life’s great pleasures, but having the room to host is a luxury we don't all have. While sleeping on your loved one’s living room floor might be character-building, it won’t do your back any favours.
Investing in a chair bed is a low-commitment hosting solution that provides an extra place to rest your head while providing more comfort. Featuring compact, convertible and space-saving designs, chair beds can be comfortable and practical and won’t ruin your decor.
So, how do you find the best chair bed for you? Here at The Recommended, we’ve scoured the internet to find the best chair beds to suit a variety of needs, all available to buy on Amazon. From practical pull-out designs to minimalist futons, we’ve covered all bases to help you find the best chair bed for your household. Plus, we’ve got you covered with a useful buyer’s guide too.
Best chair beds at a glance:
- Best recliner: Yaheetech Recliner Armchair
- Best pull-out design: Honeypot Chair Bed
- Best water-resistant chair bed: Ready Steady Bed Fold-Out Bed Chair
- Best futon chair bed: Gilda Futon Chair Bed
- Best small chair bed: Comfy Living Small Chair Bed
- Best for kids: Ready Steady Bed Kids Chair Bed
- Best inflatable chair bed: High Street TV YAWN Air Chair Bed
- Best floor chair bed: FLOGUOOR Folding Floor Chair Bed
The best chair beds
Best recliner: Yaheetech Recliner Armchair
This reclining armchair offers a stylish design and superior comfort. Coming in two parts, this recliner is easy to assemble and features an intuitive user-focused design. It is crafted with a strong composite wood frame, naturally soft rayon fibres and water-resistant, easy-to-clean PU & PVC leather. This chair bed is made with durability in mind and offers a 120 kg load capacity.
Best pull-out design: Honeypot Chair Bed
This pull-out chair bed is made with a durable wooden frame, super-soft cushioning and handy under-seat storage for added convenience. It is available in a range of sizes and features a subtle, neutral grey tone that will blend seamlessly into any colour palette. The pull-out mechanism runs smoothly for easy use and long-lasting quality.
Best water-resistant chair bed: Ready Steady Bed Fold-Out Bed Chair
This fold-out chair bed contours to the shape of your body, offering optimal support and comfort. It is simple to use and is available in a variety of colourways sure to suit every space. This compact, foldable chair bed is water resistant for long-lasting quality and the removable cover is machine-washable for easy maintenance.
More like this
Best futon chair bed: Gilda Futon Chair Bed
This chair bed is crafted with bounce-back fibre blocks that return to their original shape after use for long-lasting quality. It features an easy-to-use, intuitive design and prioritises support and comfort. It is available in several colourways and has removable covers for easy maintenance.
Best small chair bed: Comfy Living Small Chair Bed
For small spaces
This small chair bed features a compact design, perfect for small spaces and is available in a variety of colourways to suit any style. It is crafted with a durable pine wood frame and a quality tufted mattress for optimum comfort. This chair bed converts from a chair to a bed in seconds for quick and convenient use.
Best for kids: Ready Steady Bed Kids Chair Bed
Perfect for sleepovers
This simple chair bed is easy to use and is available in a variety of eye-catching designs, perfect for the little people in your life. The foldable, classic Z design is made with durable, fire-retardent fabric for long-lasting quality. This chair bed features dense polyester fibre filling for added comfort and support.
Best inflatable chair bed: High Street TV YAWN Air Chair Bed
This inflatable chair bed is easy to use and comes with an electric pump and dust bag for convenient storage. It features a simplistic fold-out design and raised arms for added comfort. The mattress features a flocked covering that works to hold your sheets in place all night for restful, quality sleep.
Best floor chair bed: FLOGUOOR Folding Floor Chair Bed
Keep it on the down low
This versatile chair bed can be adjusted between 90° and 180° for tailored comfort and is made with durable steel alloys for maximum support. It is designed with a Japanese KoYo mechanism that prioritises stability and durability. This chair bed has a load capacity of 150kg and features adjustable armrests for added comfort.
Chair bed buyer’s guide: everything you need to know
A chair bed is a great solution for those in need of an extra sleeping spot, without compromising on the space and decor of your home. From pull-out options to futon styles, chair beds come in different styles, sizes and designs, each with practicality and comfort at the top of their priorities. The Recommended has got you covered with all you need to know and look for when shopping for your chair bed.
What is a chair bed?
A chair bed is very much like the more well-known sofa bed, just smaller. They come in several different designs and styles to fit in with the aesthetics of your room - either as a single chair, large armchair or even a two-seater loveseat - and feature different fabrics, colours and shapes. They provide the perfect spot for a comfortable seating position in your living room or bedroom and can be transformed into a bed easily and quickly when needed.
What are the different types of chair beds?
Chair beds can come in various styles and sizes, each with different features and benefits. Here are the most common types:
- Pull-out chair beds: This is the most popular design for a chair bed. A folding bed frame is pulled out from under the chair’s seat with its mattress on top to transform the seating area into a bed.
- Click-clack chair beds: In this style of chair bed, the backrest and chair seat simply fold flat and click into place to create the sleeping area. The large cushion cover is doubled up as the mattress.
- Futon chair beds: This design sees the chair and mattress fold down flat to provide a bed, similar to a click-clack design. Futon-style chair beds are usually lower to the ground and more compact.
What to consider when buying a chair bed?
When looking to buy a chair bed, it’s worth considering the following:
- Size: Where will you position the chair bed? Make sure you have taken measurements to ensure you have enough space for it, both as a chair and folded out as a bed.
- Design: Choose between a pull-out, click-clack or a futon-style chair bed. The different design styles will have different features to suit your needs and home decor.
- Comfort: Look for chair beds which provide the ultimate comfort, with cushions and mattresses that will bring support and encourage a good night’s sleep.
- Ease of use: Check out how easily and quickly the chair transforms into a bed - the simpler, the better!
- Price: Chair beds vary in price, from budget-friendly options starting from a couple of hundred pounds to more luxurious styles heading into the thousands. Once you’ve decided on your budget, there’ll be plenty to look at on the market.
What are the benefits of a chair bed?
Chair beds have several benefits in upgrading your living space. These include:
- Multifunctional: Chair beds provide a chair and bed combined into one piece of furniture for the ultimate convenience.
- Space saving: Thanks to their multifunctionality, chair beds can save space in your home, providing both a seating and sleeping spot without taking up extra room. They are a great option for smaller living spaces.
- Ease of use: Chair beds are simple to use, transforming smoothly and easily into a bed in minutes.
- Comfortable: Whether a pull-out design or futon, a large armchair or two-seater loveseat style, chair beds provide comfortable seating options and also beds. Make sure to try out the mattresses before purchasing!
- Budget-friendly: Chair beds are available at all price points, suitable for most budgets. They are a cost-efficient investment thanks to their multifunctionality - there’s no need to buy an extra bed when guests come to stay.
How to care for your chair bed
Looking after your chair bed correctly will help keep it in good condition and lasting for a longer amount of time. Make sure to read the manufacturer's instructions to wash and maintain accordingly. You should also clean any spillages or stains immediately to prevent them from permanently damaging the fabrics, and vacuum the surfaces and between the gaps regularly to keep any crumbs, dirt or dust from building up.
If you want to read more of our household related product guides, check out our household page, where you’ll find more home recommendations, including the best shoe racks, the best blenders, and the best mini dishwashers.
Cordelia Aspinall is a Digital Writer for Immediate Media, working across brands including The Recommended, RadioTimes.com, MadeForMums and BBC Gardeners’ World. She has previously worked and written for digital publications including Condé Nast Traveller, The Evening Standard, Cosmopolitan, and several other lifestyle brands.
Isobel Nutbrown is a Staff Writer at The Recommended and works with leading industry experts to help readers make informed decisions and shop smarter online.