The best radiator covers to help distribute heat and keep pets and kids safe
We’ve done our research to put together our top picks of the best radiator covers you can buy online.
Radiators are a household essential in the colder months, but we can all agree they’re not always the prettiest of appliances. Adding a radiator cover to your home decor is an effective way to keep your home cosy without sacrificing style, and it can even add some convenient shelf space.
There are a lot of radiator covers to choose from, so to help you out, The Recommended has scoured the internet to find the cream of the crop and has pulled together our top picks of the best radiator covers for every space available to buy online. We’ve also included a buyer’s guide at the bottom of the page for more helpful information when it comes to your purchase.
The best radiator covers at a glance:
- Best slatted radiator cover: Vida Designs Chelsea Radiator Cover
- Best patterned radiator cover: Vida Designs Oxford Radiator Cover
- Best basic radiator cover: AVC Designs Kensington Radiator Cover
- Best grey radiator cover: AVC Designs Grey Kensington Radiator Cover
- Best radiator shelf: Mastershelf Radiator Shelf
- Best unpainted radiator cover: Vida Designs Unpainted Oxford Radiator Cover
- Best for easy installation: Meerveil Radiator Cover
- Best large radiator cover: ELEGANT Radiator Covers
- Best extendable radiator cover: ELEGANT Adjustable Radiator Cover
- Best value radiator cover: CLIPOP Modern Radiator Cover
The best radiator covers
Best slatted radiator cover: Vida Designs Chelsea Radiator Cover
This radiator cover features a simple slatted design and is available in a range of sizes, from small to extra large. The Chelsea radiator cover is made with easy installation in mind for simple integration over skirting boards and pre-cut pieces for easy assembly, featuring an intuitive clip-on design.
Best patterned radiator cover: Vida Designs Oxford Radiator Cover
This radiator cover boasts a more ornate design, featuring a traditional cross grill pattern with rounded edges and a wood top shelf. The radiator cover comes pre-cut for easy assembly, is available in four different sizes to suit all household requirements, and includes wall mounting brackets.
Best basic radiator cover: AVC Designs Kensington Radiator Cover
Streamline your home decor with this simple but classy radiator cover while protecting pets and children from potential hazards from the heat. This cover is made from a high-quality MDF with a modern satin finish, available in various sizes and colours.
Best grey radiator cover: AVC Designs Grey Kensington Radiator Cover
This radiator cover is painted a neutral shade of grey that will compliment muted interior design colour palettes. Made from a high-quality MDF, the radiator cover is easy to assemble and has all the required fittings and a satin finish for a smart, contemporary look.
Best radiator shelf: Mastershelf Radiator Shelf
This radiator shelf is an easy way to add extra shelving while redirecting rising heat into your space. Featuring soft, curved edges, the no-drill design will offer that extra surface space you are after. Easy to install and Includes all necessary brackets.
Best unpainted radiator cover: Vida Designs Unpainted Oxford Radiator Cover
Choose your colour
This unpainted radiator cover allows you to tailor your colour scheme to suit your style best. It features an easy-to-use clip-on design and is made from a quality, pre-cut MDF that can be removed and reinstalled quickly for easy maintenance.
Best for easy installation: Meerveil Radiator Cover
This radiator cover will be up in no time, complete with clear instructions and all the necessary tools for simple assembly. Made from a strong MDF and featuring clean lines and rounded edges to help prevent injury, this radiator cover will protect your home while adding a touch of character. Available in three sizes.
Best large radiator cover: ELEGANT Radiator Covers
For larger spaces
This radiator cover is ideal for longer radiators thanks to its extra-large design and is available in two neutral colourways. Available in either grey or white, this radiator cover is made with quality materials and features rounded corners for safe use. It will also double up as a super useful shelf to display picture frames and decorations on.
Best extendable radiator cover: ELEGANT Adjustable Radiator Cover
This radiator’s adjustable design means it can extend and shorten to fit perfectly into your space. This customisable cover features a stylish horizontal, slatted design and is topped with a useful shelf, perfect for displaying ornaments or photographs.
Best value radiator cover: CLIPOP Modern Radiator Cover
Value for money
This large radiator cover is made from high-quality engineered wood and has an affordable price tag, so there’s no breaking the bank. It features a modern, slatted design and fits snuggly around skirting boards for optimal stability.
Radiator covers buyer’s guide
Looking to upgrade your home space and cover up a rather ordinary radiator? We’ve got you covered with our super useful buyer’s guide to help you find the perfect radiator cover – from the styles and materials to look out for to the benefits and safety features you cannot miss!
What to consider when choosing the right radiator cover
There are several factors to consider when deciding on the best radiator cover for your home – we’ve rounded up some of the top ones to consider, from the ease of installation to the safety features and upkeep required for optimum performance.
- Room aesthetics: Think about your interior design style when choosing a radiator cover, including the colour scheme and existing furniture, for it to complement the décor.
- Ease of installation: You’ll be grateful for easy installation – look for radiator covers that require minimal assembly or can be easily mounted to the wall.
- Material: Check out the different materials to determine the best option for your needs and budget, whether MDF, solid wood, metal or rattan.
- Size and fit: Your radiator cover must fit over your radiator correctly without obstructing airflow or access to controls. Make sure to measure up before you start looking!
- Safety features: Look for designs with a sturdy construction, rounded edges and adequate ventilation to prevent accidental burns or injuries, especially in households with pets and children.
- Heat distribution: Opt for a radiator cover that directs the warm air into the room effectively, improving overall heat distribution without significantly impacting energy efficiency.
- Customizability: Some radiator covers can be painted or modified to suit your unique style and give a personalised touch.
- Maintenance: Different materials and styles will need different types of upkeep, such as regular painting for wood covers or dusting for metal options. Check out the maintenance required when looking at radiator covers, and select one that fits your lifestyle best.
Radiator cover benefits: heating efficiency, style, safety, storage and more
Radiator covers can be a real game-changer when it comes to upgrading the interiors of your home, and they can also provide extra protection to keep everyone safe and burn-free. We’ve highlighted some of the top benefits below:
- Aesthetic appeal: Radiator covers can smarten up your interiors, concealing any unsightly, old or boring radiators and giving your space a polished, modernised look.
- Safety: Radiator covers can also act as a barrier between hot surfaces and people, consequently helping to reduce the risk of burns or injuries (particularly in homes with young children and pets).
- Extra surface space: Many radiators covers feature a flat top which can act as a shelf, providing additional space for displaying any decorations, photographs or even small plants.
- Dust protection: Radiator covers can help prevent dust from building up on radiator surfaces, improving the air quality inside your home and minimising cleaning efforts.
- Heat distribution: Radiator covers can improve heat distribution by directing warm air into the room more quickly and efficiently.
Radiator cover safety: keeping children and pets safe
Do you have children or pets in your home? Radiator covers can be a great option to keep children and pets safe while heating your home effectively. Here are some of the top safety benefits with these groups in mind:
- Reduce direct contact: Radiator covers act as a barrier between the hot surface and playful hands of children or paws of cats and dogs, reducing the risk of accidental burns.
- Sturdy construction: Most high-quality radiator covers are designed to withstand knocks and bumps, keeping the radiator safe from damage.
- Rounded edges: Many radiator covers are finished with smooth, rounded edges, reducing the likelihood of injuries from sharp corners.
- Ventilation: Most modern radiator covers are designed to allow adequate airflow, ensuring that the cover itself does not become dangerously hot.
Radiator cover materials
Radiator covers vary in the materials they are made from. Here are some of the most popular:
- MDF: MDF (medium-density fibreboard) is a popular choice for radiator covers. It is durable, affordable and easy to paint for a customised finish.
- Solid wood: Hardwoods, for example, oak and pine, provide a premium look and feel. They are slightly more expensive than MDF and do require regular maintenance.
- Metal: Metal radiator covers offer a sleek and contemporary style and provide excellent heat conduction for an added benefit.
- Rattan and wicker: Natural materials such as rattan and wicker can add a rustic vibe to your home and allow for efficient airflow and heat distribution.
How to measure your radiator
Before you start your purchasing journey, measure up your radiator accurately to ensure you get the perfect cover to fit. Follow these step-by-step tips for the best results:
- Measure the width: Make sure to include valves, switches or controls in your measurement, and add a few centimetres for clearance, measuring from one end to the other.
- Measure the height: Start from the floor and measure to the top of the radiator, adding a few centimetres for adequate airflow.
- Measure the depth: Measure the distance from the wall to the front of the radiator, and include any protruding valves or pipes.
- Using your measurements: Use your measurements to choose a radiator cover that offers a snug fit without obstructing airflow or access to any of the controls.
Radiator cover styles: design to complement your decor
Radiator covers come in all sizes and styles. Make sure to choose the best design to fit in with the rest of your interiors and compliment your style – from the colour, style and overall vibe.
- Traditional: Radiator covers in a classic design (e.g. wooden and featuring elegant detailing) work well in period homes and spaces with a vintage aesthetic.
- Contemporary: Sleek, minimalist radiator covers suit modern homes well and will complete the look with a polished touch.
- Customisable: Some radiator covers can be painted or embellished to match your unique style preferences.
- Themed: Some bespoke radiator covers can incorporate specific themes, patterns, or colours to create a focal point in your space.
Radiator cover efficiency: helping heat your home more effectively
Wondering if your output of heat will be affected by a radiator cover? We’ve answered your questions below.
- Heat distribution: A well-designed radiator cover aims to help direct the warm air into your room, improving overall heat distribution.
- Energy efficiency: While some covers may slightly reduce heat output, the difference is generally minimal and, therefore, should not significantly impact your energy usage.
- Ventilation: Make sure to choose a radiator cover with adequate ventilation to ensure no heat is trapped and your heating system maintains efficiency.