The best under-bed storage: extra storage for clothes, shoes and bedding
Maximise your storage space with our top picks of the best under-bed storage to help keep your wardrobe and drawers clutter-free.
We’ve all been guilty of shoving things under the bed to ‘tidy up’ - from old jumpers, winter coats or pairs of trainers you can’t find when you need them. While hap haphazardly shoving things out of sight might not be the best storage solution, investing in quality under-bed storage is a great way to maximise your storage space and organise your household.
When it comes to finding the perfect under-bed storage solution, there are plenty of products to choose from. There is something for everyone, from large-capacity foldable boxes to durable plastic designs. So, where do you start? That's where we come in.
The Recommended scoured the web to find the best under-bed storage for every need. We’ve pulled together our top picks to remove the guesswork and help you shop smarter (you’re welcome).
The best under bed storage at a glance:
- Best basic under-bed storage: Amazon Basics Underbed Storage Bag Set of 2
- Best under-bed shoe storage: John Lewis ANYDAY Underbed Shoe Storage Tray
- Best looking storage: John Lewis Water Hyacinth Underbed Storage Basket
- Best for accessories storage: John Lewis Bamboo Rim Divided Storage Basket
- Best under-bed storage drawer: Habitat Aspley Single Under Bed Wooden Drawer
- Best foldable storage bags: NestNeatly SmartCube Underbed Storage
- Best heavy-duty storage: Dunelm Heavy Duty Underbed Storage
The best-under-bed storage
Best basic under-bed storage: Amazon Basics Underbed Storage Bag Set of 2
This is a set of two transparent storage bags, and both are soft-sided and can be folded flat for storage when not in use. They are zip locked, so they offer protection from dust and have a transparent cover so you can see the items being stored inside.
They both have side handles so you can easily carry the bags and retrieve them from under the bed with no hassle. The fabric bags are also designed for long-term use as they are made with tear-resistant material.
Best under-bed shoe storage: John Lewis ANYDAY Underbed Shoe Storage Tray
This under-bed storage option is great for someone with a large collection of shoes or those who have run out of space on the family shoe rack. The fabric organiser has nine different sections which can store shoes and other items such as belts or socks.
More like this
A mesh covering can be zipped over the nine sections to protect items from dust and damage, allowing you to see what you have stored in each section. The storage tray also has a handle on one end for easy transportation and retrieval.
Best looking under-bed storage: John Lewis Water Hyacinth Underbed Storage Basket
This trendy under-bed storage option is made of water hyacinth to give it a stylish wicker basket look. Water hyacinth has a fibrous tissue which makes it ideal for weaving, and this basket has been woven around a metal frame for extra support.
The basket is enclosed with a lid which can be loosely secured via a sisal loop. It also has two handles on the front so it can be transported and pulled out easily when put underneath a bed.
Best for under-bed accessories storage: John Lewis Bamboo Rim Divided Storage Basket
This simply designed under-bed storage option is smaller than most but perfect for accessories or smaller items of clothing. It is made of a bamboo frame and is completely enclosed by fabric to offer maximum protection for your valuables.
It has four different sections inside the basket, which can be used to separate shoes, clothes, jewellery etc. A foldable lid keeps everything inside safe and hidden, with a pullable strap for opening and closing.
Best under-bed storage drawer: Habitat Aspley Single Under Bed Wooden Drawer
This simply designed storage drawer is perfect for those looking for a no-fuss way to maximise the space underneath their bed. The drawer has no lid or cover, which makes it easily accessible and quick to pack/take things out of.
The drawer is made of a solid pine frame and is on wheels, which makes the process of retrieving it from under the bed very easy - made even easier by the handles, which are cut out of the frame.
Best foldable storage bags: NestNeatly SmartCube Underbed Storage
This set of 3 large under-bed storage boxes features a handy foldable design for space-saving storage when you’re not using them and are made with tear-resistant materials, reinforced handles and five zip fasteners for long-lasting use.
The bags are all designed with clear plastic windows so you can easily see what's stored inside, and they come with ten adhesive labels for easy organisation.
Best heavy-duty storage: Dunelm Heavy Duty Underbed Storage
This heavy-duty storage bag is perfect for space-saving, especially for the long term. It comes complete with a two-way zip to easily access the bag.
It also has a handle on its side which helps in making it easily transportable and retrievable from under the bed. The bag is completely covered by a solid polyester fabric which protects the items inside from dust and the outside elements.
Under-bed storage buyer’s guide
The area underneath your bed often goes unused or forgotten, but under-bed storage products can help maximise this hidden area. If you’re struggling with clutter, overspilling shelving, or just need more space to put your possessions, under-bed storage can help. Whether under-bed bags, boxes, or crates, there are loads of options to store items and free up space in your room and house.
But, if you remain confused as to why you should be using them, how to pack them properly, or how to choose the right one for you, we have a helpful buyer’s guide. Here we cover your frequently asked questions and help assist you in the purchase of your next clutter-killing storage enhancers.
What is under-bed storage, and how can it be useful?
Under-bed storage is exactly what it sounds like: storage solutions designed to fit under your bed, allowing you to maximise space and keep your bedroom organised. They can be useful in providing additional storage space for items that don't fit in your cupboards or dresser. They are also used to make it easier to reduce clutter in your bedroom and help keep things tidy and looking organised.
What are the different types of under-bed storage available?
There are several different under-bed storage options available on the market with products to fit any budget or storage needs. Of all the under-bed storage options available, they usually fit into one of the four categories:
- Plastic storage bins: These are the most common and affordable option and come in various sizes and colours. They are usually slid under the bed and opened like a massive Tupperware. They are often transparent and can sometimes be locked using handles.
- Rolling drawers: These provide easy access and can be used to store clothes, shoes, or other items. They are set up like boxes or shelves, and the wheels make it easy for them to be pushed and pulled out from under the bed.
- Fabric or canvas bags: These are lightweight and easy to store when not in use. The material means they can be moulded into different spaces and also makes transportation easier. Being able to fold them up is also a bonus for when they are not in use.
- Plastic crates: These are similar to plastic boxes but don’t have a lid or top. They are easy to access and have no fuss involved, but they don’t protect items like an enclosed storage option would.
How to choose the right under-bed storage
When thinking about under-bed storage, it’s important to pick the right one for your personal needs. There are hundreds of options available, so to try and avoid becoming overwhelmed, you can filter products based on your priorities. You should consider several factors, including:
- Size: Probably one of the most important considerations to make is size. Before buying an under-bed storage solution, you should measure the available space you have and match this to how big your storage product will be. Make sure to also measure height. You want to make sure that the under-bed storage will actually fit under the bed and not get stuck.
- Storage needs: What do you want to store? What is going to be put in the boxes, crates, or bags under your bed? How long are they going to be there? These are all questions you need to consider before buying under-bed storage. Think about what will be housed under the bed, for how long, and how much there is - then match this to the storage product.
- Accessibility: Another consideration has to be how accessible the under-bed storage needs to be. You need to think about how often you will need access to the items and choose an option based on that. It would be no good having a massive box that needs to be accessed three times a day if you struggle to pull it out or open it. Likewise, if you want to access the items once a month, you should choose a more secure and protective option which may be harder to open.
- Aesthetic: Do you want your room to look nice? Choose an aesthetically pleasing storage option. This is more of a consideration if you plan to pull it out from under your bed often. If it won’t be seen that much, it doesn’t really need to look good.
- Budget: No one likes to talk about money, but it is probably what will dictate your purchase. Make sure that you have the right amount of money to pay for under-bed storage and stick to a product which you can afford.
Three benefits of under-bed storage
Under-bed storage is a great solution for people struggling to find areas for their stuff. Putting it under your sleeping area keeps it out of the way and, hopefully, out of your mind. Here are some extra benefits that under-bed storage can bring you:
- Maximises space
If you’re finding you just have too much stuff in your room or around the house, then using under-bed storage can help you store more things away. If your wardrobe is full, you can put clothes under the bed. You could place children's toys and even shoes in push-away containers or put your camping gear and holiday towels there. Maximising this space under your bed means you have a freer, less cramped bedroom.
- Reduces visual clutter
Bedrooms are often the first places that become cluttered and messy. Especially if you have a small bedroom, mess can build up quickly. By utilising under-bed storage, you can keep the space in your room organised. Doing this will keep items out of sight and create a more streamlined look for your room.
- Creates a more relaxed environment
A cluttered and disorganised room can cause stress and anxiety. One of the main ways to reduce this is by cleaning your room, but if you don’t have enough storage space, there is nowhere to put the items causing you these negative effects. Under-bed storage is the solution, and by utilising it, you can create a more relaxed environment and even promote better sleep.
If you want to read more expert-recommended round-ups and product guides, check out our Household page, where you’ll find more home recommendations, including the best mini dishwashers, the best handheld vacuums, and the best water flossers.
Finn Byrne is a Digital Writer for Immediate Media. He works across several brands including The Recommended, RadioTimes.com, MadeforMums and BBC Gardeners’ World. Finn has previously written for publications including MyLondon, The Mirror, The Express, and The Star. When not writing Finn enjoys spending time on the football pitch and getting stuck into a book.
Isobel Nutbrown is a Staff Writer at The Recommended and works with leading industry experts to help readers make informed decisions and shop smarter online.